I’ll admit, I’ve ran into a Toys R Us to grab something the morning after Thanksgiving around 9 or so but never have I left out in the dark to grab some deals and deal with the crowds. I’m not sure what got into me but this morning I struck out on my own to have some fun. I had my relatively short list with only one “must have” item. No, it wasn’t the latest electronic, the flat screen tv, or some giant toy. Nope, it was Hungry Hungry Hippo:) I knew I definitely wanted to get that on sale at Walmart. Other than that, I was going for the experience. Here are a few things I observed/thought of while I popped my black friday shopping cherry.
1. Walmart was my second stop. It was when I realized there was a method you could have in the madness and start over analyzing people’s behavior (its the sociologist in me:) ). A call to my sister (avid Black Friday shopper) who told me that you have to go in with a game plan and be prepared to show some fierceness and attitude as you shop confirmed that to be a true black friday shopper one must have a gameplan and some attitude (and maybe a cart but more on that later!)
Things I noticed about Walmart:
-The registers were definitely not as crazy and the lines not nearly as long (it was about 6:30 or 7 when I was there though since this was my second stop so that may have been a factor)
-People who were shopping were SO much nicer than at Target. People were helping others find things and the holiday spirit was must more noticeable.
-Walmart;’s cardboard bins are made like crap and definitely can’t stand up to the hundreds of people grabbing at them. They were strewn about like a broken christmas ball.
2. Target was my first stop and it was CRAZY! Buggies were at a premium and the lines literally went past the jewelry section. And people were MEAN! As I walked aimlessly through the electronic section having visions of people breaking into a Christmas song (what can I say, this is my first time, I was black friday shopping delusional) some lady started cussing the poor Target guy out because the line took so long. Back to reality for me:) I really thought about going over to her and just being like “Merry Christmas” just to see what she would say.
Things I noticed about Target:
- The deals weren’t as good in my opinion as Walmart so I’m not sure why it was crazier.
-The people (not the salespeople, the shoppers) were SO much ruder! I’m talking line cutting, cursing, and just generally not smiling and no holiday spirit. It was when an older man literally walked past me to get to the register because he apparently thought the long line behind him wasn’t meant for him that I realized that this is game on day, not a day for singing carols in line.
-Target was out of a TON of stuff…Walmart wasn’t ( and I was at Target a good hour and a half before I went to Walmart)
-Target’s cardboard boxes to hold the stuff were definitely stronger and nicer looking (but didn’t hold as much which was probably the issue with the above)
3. If you have any ailment at all, you may want to consider a motorized cart. I got behind one of those things and it was like the parting of the sea. She was not afraid to use that thing and people knew it. I just followed her along for a while and it cut my time to the toy department in about 1/2.
Also, a regular cart can be a advantage and disadvantage…
-advantages: blocking device for line cutters, accidentally bumping into someone for a little vengeance (mean, I know…I would never do that), blocking off a good deal so you can get the one you want
-disadvantages: I mean, really, who wants to get through a crowd with a four feet protrusion in front of you.
4. After your shopping it is the perfect time for some yummy breakfast. I opted for Chikfila, my sister sent me a text with a picture of tacos with the message “intense shopping=tacos at 8am” so its whatever floats your boat:)
5. I sprung (sprang?) for a little Christmasy fun and bought Merry Madagascar to bring home. We saw it on TV the other night and fell in love with it. So, we had some penguin fun and watched it and decorated the house. Fun times!
So that is my observations from this mornings adventures. I have to go food shopping later today so hopefully it wont be crazy there too:) How did your shopping go?